Thursday, February 19, 2009

Recessions as blessings...

The best rise to the top in times like these, and the posers end up leaving the room. Do anything you need to do to survive, but don't waste time not creating art. -Patrick Smith note to self
(above: he's taken a beating, but smiling) One of the first things I learned about animation is that there is no easy way to do it, once you get over that fact, you can become an animator. Living in times of economic struggle is no different, simply put: nobody said it would be easy. Historically, recessions and depressions have been times when important and great works of art get made. Our cost for materials is relatively minor. It's time to create good work, stop reading CNN, or Cartoon Brew, get off of Facebook, and start working. When bad times hit and the economy is sucking, artists really need to elevate themselves and increase the quality of what they are creating. (above: stretching things thin) My friend John Dilworth once told me that when you hit the bottom, THAT'S when you will do something real. I'm happy to say that I think I may be doing something real now, John. I just hope I don't lose my house in the process.